Accountant General Department
To provide Efficient and Effective Public Financial Management Services, through a highly qualified skilled and motivated workforce, by leveraging on state-of–the-art information technology.
- Responsible for all cash transactions and accounts of the Government; and the receiver general , Paymaster and Chief Accounting Officer of the Government.
- Supervise and direct the technical and professional functions of the Accountant General's Department;
- Establish proper systems of accounting in each department of the Government;
- Supervise proper systems of accounting in each department of the Government;
- Supervise the prompt collection of all public revenue;
- Promptly bring to account, under the proper heads of accounts, sub-heads, and items , all revenue or other receipts;
- Charge all expenditure under the proper heads of accounts, sub-heads, and items;
- Properly provide for the safe keping of all public moneys, stamps, securities and valuables documents;
- Supervise all Accounting Officers entrusted with the receipt and expenditure of public money and take precautions against the occurrence of fraud, embezzlement or carelessness, by the maintenance of frequent checks, including surprise inspections.